STATE OF TEXAS - PROTECTION OF EXISTING PENSION BENEFITS:
- A REGISTERED LOBBYIST working with the Legislature throughout the State of Texas, and focused primarily on Austin.
- To safeguard against reduction of existing benefits.
- Continue working with HPOPS to increase benefits.
- Work to safeguard HPD Widow's 100% pension benefits.
CITY OF HOUSTON:
- Monitor health insurance benefits as provided through the City of Houston.
- Monitor City's obligation to fund HPOPS.
- Liaison with HPD on matters such as Retired ID Cards, Firearms Qualifications, and any other such issues arising for Retirees.
- Assure that HPD Retirees are provided affordable and quality heath insurance.
CURRENT LIFE AND HEALTH STATUS OF ALL HPD RETIREES:
- Medicare video library coming on the secure website by February 2022.
- The city dropped Medicare Supplement Plan “F” & “G”. The HPROA offers these plans (started January 2022) and has a no-cost Medicare Customer Care Rep (much like Veronica at the HPOU) who handles Medicare appeals for members and answers questions.
- Family Assistance Committee maintains contact with members who are having health issues.
- Family Assistance Committee provides and delivers needed medical equipment such as wheel chairs, walkers, hospital beds, etc.
- Works with family members to provide any assistance that is necessary.
- Works with HPD Family Assistance Officers when a death occurs to provide funeral advice and support.
- Provides a Bronze Memorial Plaque to the immediate family member at the memorial service should the family request such. Plaque reads "Served With Honor and Remembered With Pride".
- Provides updated health status information by way of the HPROA website.
SOCIAL EVENTS AND GATHERING:
- Hosts reunions in Houston (Spring) and Fredericksburg (Fall).
- Encourages and assists in developing camaraderie with old departmental acquaintances.
- Hosts the Surviving Spouses Luncheon.
- Hosts a Line Of Duty Memorial Reception for those families during Police Week.
- Maintain the HPROA website, which provides around the clock information to retirees.
- Provides THE RETIRED BADGE, a bimonthly publication.
- Both of these communication methods provide valuable information such as health issues and timely death notifications as well as periodic E-Blasts for special notices.
- These media outlets also provide an outlet for member comments.
- Publish a membership directory for members to communicate with each other.
POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE:
- Executive Director attends Legislative sessions in Austin to monitor all proposed legislation which might in any manner affect HPD Retirees.
- Executive Director attends political functions throughout the year.
- PAC oversees contributions to the PAC Fund.
- Interviews political candidates who seek HPROA's endorsement and/or PAC funds.
- Provides financial assistance to those candidates who endorse political and law enforcement goals of the HPROA.
OPTIONAL LEGAL SERVICE: