Houston Police Retired Officers AssociationJuly 9, 2020
Board Meeting Minutes
and Pledge of Allegiance: Bob Barnard
Present: Aldridge, Barnard, Beale, Gaines, Kivela, McDonald, Rayne, Scheibe, St.John, Toth, Zoch
Absent : Ashby, Potell, Walschburger
Parliamentarian – Bill Elkin
Sergeant at Arms: Robert Crane
Determination of Quorum: A quorum was present.
Treasurer’s Report and Minutes of Previous Meeting
Motion by Aldridge of Previous Meeting, 2nd by McDonald to approve the Minutes and the Treasurer’s Report as printed. Voice Vote. Motion Carried.
President – Bob
Business Meeting cancelled due to COVID19.
o A questionnaire was included regarding members’ preference in receiving
the Retired Badge electronically on the HPROA Website or mailed in print form.
o A short informational note from Bruce Evans, Candidate for Board Position #3, was included.
The other two candidates chose not to include a note in the mail out.
o Problem occurred with Ballot Envelopes not sealing. Pasadena Printing printed and delivered envelopes the same day
o The Bylaws state in the event of a tie, a coin toss will decide the winner.
· The Election Ballots will be counted before the August Board Meeting.
oThe candidates will be invited to the Board Meeting and the newly elected candidates will be sworn in as new Board Members
· After the loss of Nelson Foehner on the Family Assistance Committee, Forrest Turbeville will continue as FAC Chairman and Henry Chavez will serve as Co-Chair.
· HPD Cadet Class #245 graduation will be held at the Second Baptist Church, 6400 Woodway, Houston on Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 2:00pm. Retirees are encouraged to attend.
· Discussion regarding following up on new member applications given to officers or retirees. Membership Chairman Roy McDonald will email a new recruiting letter to those retirees who failed to renew their membership. Membership application may be accessed on phones, tablets, etc.
sign-in table at the Regular Membership Meeting will be located in the foyer
for additional security and to have an accurate count of those attending.
o William W. Bolton
* Motion by Toth, 2nd by
Rayne to approve the new Regular Member applications. Voice Vote.
o Two Associate Members approved:
* Motion by McDonald, 2nd by Beale to approve the new Associate Member applications. Voice Vote. Motion Carried.
o One Associate Member application
received and will be posted on the HPROA
Website for one month.
Executive Director – Anthony Kivela
Web Manager Selection Process Update:
* Motion by Zoch, 2nd by Beale to hire member Mike Gee as the new HPROA Web Manager effective August 13, 2020 at the budgeted amount of $800 per month with the amount to be reviewed in January 2021. Voice Vote. Motion Carried.
Identification Cards Update: HPROA
contacted TMPA Legal Division. Chief
does NOT have the ability to change any retirement status. Chief SHALL issue an Honorably Retired
Card. Chief MAY sign allowing retiree to
carry a weapon.
o HPROA will have another meeting with the Chief and HPD Legal Department.
o Host provider, Netsential, was recently hacked. Discussion.
o 6-2020 – PPE supplies from member May Walker, Constable Precinct 7.
o 6-14-20 – Mary Valez in honor of Ramsey Valez.
o 6-22-20 – Ed Aldridge in memory of Henry Pressley
o 6-25-20 – Mark and Charolette Mills in memory of Scott T. Stewart.
o 6-27-20 – James “Ken” Pinion (new member), just wants to help HPROA.
o 6-27-20 – Mark Langford in memory of Scott T. Stewart.
o 7-2-20 - Salvador Lopez.
o 7-6-20 - Mark and Cathy Curran in memory of Henry Pressley.
o Burial Fund donations received on HPROA website. Cost HPROA 3% credit card processing fee. Discussion.
* Motion by Toth, 2nd by Zoch
to deduct the commission the 3rd party credit card processor charges
the HPROA when funds are received by us, but transferred to the Burial Fund as
originally intended by the donors. Roll
Call Vote. Motion Carried. Yes Vote: Aldridge, Beale, Gaines,
McDonald, St.John, Toth, Zoch
o Shirley Barrett thanking Jim St.John
for assisting with the petition for denial of parole for a police officer’s
killer. It was successful.
o Budgeted expenditures are under budget due to Covid19. The Houston Reunion and Surviving Spouse Luncheon were cancelled.
o Discussion regarding upgrading office equipment and website technology this fiscal year.
· Catastrophic injuries discussed then tabled.
Old Business:· Update on the distribution of the PPE mask by St.John and Scheibe.
· The Board approved pull-up HPROA banner was received.
· Research for A/V Projector, computer software and name badges to go to new Web Manager. Tabled.
· Discussion on pride wear purchased from Pasadena Printing. Discussion on a new pride wear vendor.
Discussion regarding waiving membership dues for one member who would like to join the HPROA but is currently unable due to having no city or gap insurance and huge out of pocket medical expenses.v Motion by McDonald, 2nd by Zoch to grant the retiree a complementary one (1) year membership to be revisited in one (1) year. Voice Vote. Motion Carried.· :
o Rayne reported both the indoor and outdoor ranges are closed.
o Retirees only may shoot the Narcotics range at 11:00am daily. Check with Range Officer before going out.
o Treasurer Report – Ed Aldridge
§ $ 250,261.66 in the bank.
PAC – Bob Barnard:
o Entertainment Committee – Matt Potell
§ HPROA LOGO items picked up from Pasadena Printing.
Membership Committee – Roy McDonald
o Retired Badge – Nelson Zoch Articles for the next edition due July 20th.
Family Assistance Committee: Friends we lost in June were Carrol
M. Lynn, Ramsey Velez, Marvella S. Forte, Henry Pressley and Scott T. Stewart.
Legislative Committee – Bill Elkin·
the race getting a lot of TV ads is the runoff for U.S. Congress District 22,
House of Representatives between Republicans Kathleen Wall and Troy Neils. Wall has spent over $4 million in this race
and spent over $6 million two years ago in the race against Dan Crenshaw for
District 2 seat.
Good and Welfare:
· Zoch read a heartfelt letter from Tina Faircloth, Henry Pressley’s daughter, expressing her gratitude for all the assistance from HPROA and describing what being a HPD Officer meant to Henry and his family
· Hand sanitizer and facemask will be provided at the next open meeting.
Motion by Rayne, 2nd by Beale to adjourn the meeting at 11:35am. Voice Vote. Motion Carried.
Sue Gaines Board Secretary