Handgun and Retired ID Renewal Information
Academy Range Qualifications
- Retirees MUST have a reservation in order to qualify.
- NO WALK-INS ALLOWED.
- Retirees are required to have their own eye and ear protection.
- Retirees are reminded to wear a mask at all times (optional while actually qualifying), and to practice social distancing.
Reservations will be scheduled by the Retiree Certification Unit (RCU), only. The RCU will be contacting those who have submitted their paperwork to the RCU to schedule reservations.
Retirees should check in at the RCU, wearing their masks, preferably by 10:30 am to complete any remaining paperwork before qualifying at the indoor range. The qualification line time is approximately 11:00 am, at the Indoor Pistol Range.
Retirees must have their weapons clear and unloaded prior to entering any facility at the Academy. Retiree Weapons will be inspected at the indoor range after check-in at the RCU.
Be advised that head shots do not count, and in fact count as a miss.
- Please feel free to contact Senior Police Officers Paul Cromwell or Bridgett Marshall of the Retiree Certification Unit at 832-394-2500 should you have any further issues or concerns.
Texas License To Carry (LTC):
If you are honorably retired and want to apply for an LTC with the state of Texas, you may do so at no charge provided you get a letter from the Chief of Police. For instructions on how to do this, please follow the steps below:
- Click HERE to go to the HPOU website.
- On the HPOU site, click “DPS Instructions & HPD Application”. Read the instructions carefully and fill out all required forms.
- Mail or email the forms to the information provided in the instructions.
- The caveat is, you must have qualified at the HPD shooting range within 6 months prior to submitting your paperwork (NO WALK-INS ALLOWED). See "Retiree Qualifications" above.
Renewing your LTC:
- Initial licenses are valid for four years. Renewal licenses are valid for five years.
- You must fill out another state License to Carry application in order to renew!
- Also must fill out the HPD Employee Services Division application as well. Located HERE. Follow the instructions carefully.
If you have further questions, contact HPD Employee Services at 713-308-1220.
Handgun & Retired ID Renewal Forms:
NOTE: When qualifying, retirees must have a reservation with the Academy Retiree Certification Unit. No walk-ins are allowed. (See "Retiree Qualifications" above)
to go to the HPOU website for all the necessary forms and instructions.
| ||© 2020, Houston Police Retired Officers Association. All rights reserved.|